Sunday, August 28, 2011

Making Memories

I haven’t written in awhile. I’m at the stage now where I’m pretty used to things so I have to look a bit harder to find something to write about.  First, thank you Grammie, Sherry, and Mom for the birthday cards and money. It was so cool to get those in the mail! And of course, Mom thank you so much for the care package! What a hassle! 
School is going well, except 1 class that’s driving me nuts with their constant talking (actually more like screaming), but after 3 years of teaching I expect that.  This past Thursday was my birthday and besides the birthday cards and birthday messages on facebook my favorite class brought me a cake, sang to me, and even had candles, 3 pink ones and 4 white ones for my age. That made my day.  I believe that I will find it very hard to go back to teaching in the United States after dealing with teenagers that are so much more respectful, on the other side of the globe. Maybe I won’t teach anymore when I get back, who knows?  I don’t remember if I mentioned in my last blog that I finally am able to pronounce my bus stop well enough to be understood.  If I’m mentioning it again it’s because it’s really quite a milestone after trying daily for weeks! J  I’m hoping the reason they understand me now is because my pronunciation has gotten better and not just because they may recognize me now and know my stop!?  Let’s just assume it’s the former! 
I never wrote about my trip to Kanchanaburi which was 2 weekends ago. I did post a ton of pics on facebook. It was amazing. Trekking through the jungle past beautiful waterfalls, giant trees and monkey’s was my favorite part.  At the last waterfall, which was the most beautiful, there was this milky blue pool at the bottom overlooking the jungle below. So imagine if you look one way you are gazing at this huge waterfall and if you look the other way you are taking in vast jungle that reminds me of all the pics we see from Vietnam. Ray 3 & Mylee would know - if you’re reading maybe you can enlighten me on the jungles there? There were these fish called cleaner fish that attach themselves to your feet and nibble away the dead skin. I couldn’t do it because it felt too weird and it was really fun watching all the people bravely stick their feet in and then quickly pull them out again because of the sensation. We all spoke a different language, and yet we understood each other during that cleaner fish episode. J The funny thing is, people pay to have their feet cleaned by cleaner fish. I saw a man doing it today outside a spa. Him and his son had their feet in a big aquarium with the cleaners attached to their feet. I took a picture which I’ll post below. I loved it there; not only for Erawan Falls and the beautiful scenery, but also for all the unique WW2 history, and the great floating guesthouses on the river, with amazing prices.  The bridge on the River Kwai and Hell’s Pass are there, which is the main reason for the tourism in the area. It has so much more to offer though. On the back of a motorbike, I rode past farms and tropical fruit trees, huge mountains, little roadside stands selling fruit. But to describe it doesn’t do it justice. I believe it will always be a cherished memory to me. I will probably remember it vividly when I’m 80 (if I make it that long!) 
So today I went to Lumpini Park; Bangkok’s equivalent to Central Park. It’s pretty, but the best thing about it is the wildlife! I saw many of those huge lizards that I’ve been dying to see again. I saw one briefly during my longboat ride in the Bangkok canals about a month ago. They look like Komodo dragons (if you watch Animal Planet, you know what I’m talking about). The birds in the park are cool too. There are these big crows or ravens that all sit in this one huge tree. At one point there were 2 on this rod iron fence, and I swear I was right in the middle of an Edgar Allen, Poe story. It was the raven, “knock, knock, knocking at my chamber door.” J 
This week will be a busy one work-wise. Final exams are coming up and have to be completed by Friday. Even with lots to do though, there is really no stress involved because I have a planning period for every class I teach, so I can actually get my work done at work and not have to take it home, both physically and mentally --what a change! 
I’m missing my Ismail a lot now and sometimes it gets to me. It’s hard to be away from someone you love so much. I can imagine how military wives feel! I also miss my mom, and having my cats around. I’m very happy though, and am so glad that I’m here and doing something I’ve wanted to do for so long. 
Thanks for reading! Talk with you soon!

2 comments:

  1. I am missing you too Andi and can't wait to come see you.
    why dont you adopt a lizard instead of a pursian cats, I heard that Persian hate americans since Ahmadinajad took power in Persia... Dont tell that I didnt warn you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never saw any "CLEANER" Fish in Nam, but the jungle sounds familiar. I think, like you, the history and the culture were my favs about the foreign lands. How hard the ppl work and how friendly they can be. I admire your courage and envy you for getting to spend so much time in a place where you can see and learn so much that here in the USA we never really see, learn about or understand. I think if everyone got to spend some time overseas, learn how others act and how they think of the WEST, our Country would be better for it. Thanks and Keep posting!

    ReplyDelete