Thursday, April 19, 2012

Here at the end of all things...are new beginnings

I’m sitting here on the plane from Japan to Houston feeling sad and reflective about the 9 month journey that has now ended. In some ways it went by so fast-always planning the next trip, exploring Thailand, meeting people, getting to know bits of the culture. In other ways the time went by slow—the hot season, the flood, work hours after the flood, procrastinating and then finally quitting my worst habit during my last months. I’ve made changes in my life that I’m really proud of, but at the same time I still feel unready to take the big math test I have to pass by June and there are so many unknowns in my life returning to the states. Things were non stressful in Thailand. It’s that kind of place. I loved coming home to my clean, little apartment and spending time with the neighbors and the cats, looking forward and planning my next weekend excursion.
Now I have all these major things hanging over my head—a wedding to plan for that takes place on June 2nd. A math test that must be passed by June 1st. Renovations and painting and clearing out junk from our condo, all in time for Ismail’s mom’s arrival on March 21st. Looking for a job, trying to make my money last until I get one. Settling in with Ismail again after such a long separation and knowing I’m going to have arguments about the apartment-what stays, what goes, etc. It all seems so much and yet it’s really like I took a 9 month break from life and am now being thrown right back into the middle of it.
I’m not complaining much. I like my life in Florida – I have my mom & Ed nearby and I have a husband I love dearly. I’m excited about our upcoming wedding and what the future holds for my career path. I’m so glad I decided to come to Thailand and experience something I’ve always wanted to experience. I have seen so much of Thailand, which is an incredibly beautiful place. It’s an easy country to travel in because there are so many Western tourists that go there, they have travel infrastructure set up for everyone. 
Thailand has no shortage of awe inspiring beauty. I’ve seen beaches with breathtaking limestone cliff islands jutting out of the sea in turquoise water where you can snorkel and see the most amazing fish and sea snakes and caves. We snorkeled over coral reefs on an island just north of the Malaysian border, in Thailand’s far Muslim South – one of the most beautiful beaches in Thailand with white sand, warm water and beautiful corals right off the beach. Thailand has incredible national parks as well, most with many beautiful waterfalls and teeming with every tropical butterfly species and the tropical jungle wildlife you’d expect – I’ve seen a wild elephant and gibbons on a beautiful early morning hike with friends, I’ve seen a 7-tiered waterfall, each with a milky blue pool to swim in; it’s a 2 hour steep hike to the top tier and worth every second. I’ve been to a national park that has a manmade dam with limestone cliffs jutting out of beautiful light green fresh water perfect for swimming and bathing. We stayed in a raft house and you could just jump right in outside your door. I’ve camped, rafted and trekked in Thailand’s most remote national park in Umphang to see one of SE Asia’s biggest waterfalls, Thi Lo Su. The drive down takes 5 hours through treacherous winding, steep mountain where you pass Karen refugee villages and small Thai villages along with breathtaking scenery.
I’ve been to Thailand’s Westernmost Point-Mae Sot, a Burmese Border, and then to Thailand’s Northern most point in Mae Sai, also a Burmese Border. I made it to the infamous Golden Triangle, the meeting point of 3 countries, Lao, Thailand and Myanmar (Burma) and also home to museums and mystery about the height of the days past when the illegal opium trade was in full flourish here.
 I’ve seen the famous White Temple in Chiang Rai, which did not disappoint in its splendor. I’ve ridden an elephant in the sleepy, artsy mountain town of Pai, a favorite stop of mine. We spent the night in a Robinson Crusoe type tree house just like the one at Disney’s Magic Kingdom. A very cool way to end my honeymoon was with Songkran – the Thai New Year and the biggest holiday of the year. It was so fun to take part in the water fights and you can’t help but join in since people drench you as soon as you step foot outside so you have to just go with it. We were in Chiang Mai, the place to be for Songrkan – it was crazy. 
I will always have such fond memories of Thailand. Not just for its otherworldly beauty, but also for its people. I will miss many of my students, so kind and respectful and when you are away from the big touristy areas you see Thai’s as they really are-genuine, always willing to share with you and invite you over with a smile. They are the type of people that get to know all their neighbors and take time to sit down each day to chat. They slow down with life, they take responsibility as a whole for their neighborhood stray animals by feeding them nightly. Mostly, they have a way of life that we Westerners, with our “go-go-go” attitudes could learn a lot from. They take time to enjoy things and I think that is what I will miss the most.














1 comment:

  1. welcome back andi! cant wait to hear from you! call me after stuff settles down when you get back. Have a safe 20 hour flight!

    ReplyDelete