Sunday, September 18, 2011

Koh Samui: My First Solo Vacation

Koh Samui – My first solo vacation
I should have written about my trip to Koh Samui a couple weeks ago, but works been busy so now it’s been 2 vaca’s ago, but no matter. I had a Friday off and decided to fly down to Southern Thailand on the Gulf side and visit the popular island of Koh Samui. 
The flight from Bangkok to Surat Thani was uneventful and fast. But then the fun began.  I was thinking it would be just a quick hop, skip and a jump to get off the mainland and to the Island. I was sorely mistaken. From the airport the trip consists of another 9 hours to actually get to Koh Samui. Yes, I typed that correct – 9 hours! 2 hour minivan ride from airport to Pier. Overnight ferry leaves mainland at 11pm, arrives at 5am, taxi from pier to resort - 1 hour, four wheel drive in jeep to top of mountain resort - 10 min. J No sweat. 
So I arrive early Friday morning to the top of this mountain resort overlooking the beach. The view took my breath away. The place was spectacular – far surpassing my expectations. I took a million pictures and posted them to facebook so I will skip the description. Suffice it to say, I was truly in paradise. I spent my morning in my own private gazebo overlooking the beach, having breakfast, sipping my coffee and taking everything in. It was so peaceful and I thought, “being on my own has its benefits.” Of course I had to share it with Ismail so I skyped him and showed him around the resort. J 
Chaweng beach was of course beautiful; white sand, aqua clear warm water. I swam for hours, walked the length of the beach, and started a new book (The Beach in honor of Koh Samui, where the novel takes place). Chaweng beach is overrun by tourists, which takes something away from its charm, yet it is still an amazingly beautiful beach. So after my relaxing beach day I headed back to my resort in paradise and just enjoyed the beauty. 
The next day I took one of the many day long tours to Ang Thong Marine Park, which is a series of islands that have national park status and are therefore off limits to developers. I did the kayaking trip, which was too short, but when you’re with a tour guide everything is rushed. I much prefer exploring things on my own, but doing so at Ang Thong is not possible unless you want to spend a fortune and charter a private longtail boat. The day was beautiful, and I enjoyed swimming in the ocean off the main beach, and climbing the steep stairs to the aqua lagoon in the jungle.
Overall my solo trip to Koh Samui – especially the time spent at the Jungle Club Resort—was something I will always hold dear in my heart. When I call it back to memory, it’s made up of breathtaking images, and the feeling of true peace of mind. Taking a vacation alone gave me the chance to enjoy my own company and it was a growing experience. I will go back to the Jungle Club before I leave, but next time it will be as a married woman with Ismail at my side.




No comments:

Post a Comment